Monday, November 15, 2010

Life Got You In A Spin? - She's a Sassy Lady Tutorial


Hi Ya Everyone -  I'm so excited to be doing another tutorial at She's A Sassy Lady on how to make a Spinner Card.  Please head over to She's A Sassy Lady to see all the wonderful projects and tutorials she has daily!  I had heard of spinner cards.  I've even seen pictures, but I didn't know how cool they were until I saw a video that Christy from Tiddly Inks shared with me on how they actually worked.  Here is the one I will be making with you today:


Materials Needed:
-Card Stock
-Foam Pop Dots
-Paper Cutter, Gypsy or Cricut
-Two Pennies
-Glue Dots

You can do this with any number of card sizes.  However, I like to do 5 x 7 cards because you have more room to spin!  I started with a number of papers that I had printed from my Imagine from the Best Friends cartridge and also a few sheets of thicker card stock (not shown) and some bright pink from my Bazzil card stock. 



 On my Gypsy I made a rectangle at 6 3/4 inch long and about 2 1/2 inches high.  I then copied and pasted that rectangle and shrank it to be 0.55 inches high and 6 3/4 inch long and placed in the middle of the larger rectangle.  This middle rectangle will hold the spinning contraption. Again, this slot can be modified depending on your materials.  If you don't have a Gypsy you can use a paper cutter.  I will cut this out twice in order to make the part that holds the spinner very sturdy.   I also chose a round object (Smiley from the new Smiley Cards) for the image that will spin.  This is very important if you want a well functioning spinner card.  Having said this you can use other objects that are irregular - but they don't seem to rotate as well.  I also chose a plain flower image that was equal on all sides and will cut this out twice to mount the smiley face to - again thicker will make the card function better.  Once I had my pieces cut I adhered the double pieces together. 



I pieced together the Smiley face and added pop dots on the smiley.      


Next, I took two pennies and a large .5 inch FOAM pop dot and sandwiched the pop dot between the two pennies.  Don't use the sticky pop dots that are clear.  the foam will glide around the track - the sticky ones will not. 


I then stuck the smiley onto the flower and stuck both to the sandwich with glue dots. 


The penny was then slipped into the rectangle slot.  I then added foam pop dots all around the outside edge of the spinning contraption.  This is really important because this has to be popped off the page otherwise your spinner will get stuck. 


After adhering my papers to my card base and adding the word "Ahhhhh" I stuck on the spinner part. 



I then worked up the sentiment for the inside and had my finished card! 

Thanks for checking out my tutorial!  I hope you will make your own!  For more fun projects head on over to She's A Sassy Lady.
Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. This is cute! It just tickles my funny bone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty and fun. they are not hard to make either, huh? TFS
    I got one on my card swap: it was a little frog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! This is just so cute! Love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute card and a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun card! Maybe some day I will get brave enough to try one for myself!!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool!!! :) I wanna make a spinner card...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tut, hon! Love the little face on your spinner! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great card I can't believe that as much as I love it I didn't say anything back then! Shame on me, what was I thinking? Thanks for sharing with all of us at Shes A Sassy Lady!

    ReplyDelete