Friday, October 29, 2010

Aware - Paper Cutz Challenge


Hi Ya Everyone!
  My aunts are breast cancer survivors.  My mother has three sisters and each one has had breast cancer.  My mom has been lucky enough to dodge cancer.  My aunt that I feel closest too had it the worst and had radiation.  She has been cancer free for a number of years now and I feel so lucky to have her in my life.  I thought of her when I made this card - which led me to think of all the women who deal and have dealt with this at some point, either by having cancer or dealing with a loved one that is fighting or surviving or dieing.  Awareness is such an important part of this disease.  All women should understand what being aware of your body can mean.  Knowledge is so very powerful.  So this week at Paper Cutz Challenge Mary has asked each of us to make a card for Breast Cancer Awareness.


I chose this beautiful image from Tiddly Inks - Dare To Be Aware.  Isn't she gorgeous?  For some reason this image spoke volumes.  Cancer, radiation, chemotherapy ravage women - often making those that go through it feel ugly and weak.  Truly though - they become more beautiful - strong - and inspiring and for me, this image represented that in some way.  Christy at Tiddly Inks also has this fabulous Hope ribbon border and  Hope ribbon background paper.  I chose to use them all - what could be better then lots of pinks and reds with glitter!  Oh so girly and perfect.  I first layered the ribbon border on the side of the stamp and then I colored Dare to be Aware with my Copics and used stickles to highlight the ribbon around her waste.  I fussy cut the side of her but left the other side square.  I layered a deep maroon paper behind her to bring out the image a bit more against the ribbon paper.

 I also cut out the letters Aware from Nursery Rhymes in black paper and stickled them.  Isn't being aware beautiful???  Finally, I added this crinkle ribbon with a one word charm - unity.  I think that is what breast cancer has done for women - we have united to be support for one another - perhaps the silver lining.  Thanks everyone for checking out my card - head on over to Paper Cutz and show your support for the cause by creating a card of your own!!! 
Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Waooo!!! Melissa,
    Your card is stuning!!! great image and colouring.
    Hugs,
    Farida

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Card! My mother, grandmother and cousin are all breast cancer survivors. TFS and making this card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, this card is beautiful. It speaks volumes to me too. My mother died with breast cancer 6 years ago. If only her doctor had been more pro-active. God Bless You.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Melissa, this is just beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful card, Melissa!!! Isn't it wonderful when you can say your family are survivors?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an amazing job!! It looks great! You are making me want copic markers more and more!! The charm is a great touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful card Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, your card is awesome! I can "feel" the sentiment behind it - sounds like you come from a long list of survivors and thrivers!

    ReplyDelete